Tuesday, July 10, 2007

On The Brink of Travel

I'm in San Jose a day away from travelling to Iran.

From what I took from Iran a decade ago, I believe there are observations and judgements made that are still valuable, but in the way that the judgement of a child is valuable when it sees a sunrise and calls it "pretty."

The Dick and Jane adjectives that I have of Iran are the following: giving, old, different, chaotic. But the beauty of wisdom is that for every simple adjective a novel is written out, and that is what I'm planning on doing for the next month, finding novels to write about concerning Iran's antiquity, hospitality, cultural differences, etc.

For now all I have are memories. Soon, I will have tangible proof to tell me that the Dick and Jane vocabulary of the media (the nuclear, the dictator, the opressed, the warring, and the primitive) are as valid as calling a sunrise pretty, nothing less, nothing more.

Wish me a bon voyage. Next time I write I will be in Iran.

Adieu.

No comments: